HWL Ebsworth stands at the forefront of energy and resources law. Our dedicated team has a breadth of expertise across a number of areas relating to energy and resources projects and transactions. We advise on a wide range of issues including:
Advising on regulatory issues under mining legislation, drafting and negotiation of coal and mineral supply agreements, royalty agreements, agreements relating to coal and mineral transportation, the sale, purchase and operation of interests in mining joint ventures, and related farm-in agreements.
Advising on electricity generators, transmission service providers, distributors and retailers on regulatory issues. We also advise on the drafting of power purchase agreements, retail electricity sale agreements, connection and access agreements and complex electricity demand side management arrangements.
Oil and Gas
Advising on regulatory issues relating to upstream exploration and production, gas transportation, gas sales and distribution, the sale, purchase and operation of interests in petroleum joint ventures and the development of LNG projects.
Advising complex commercial water supply and transportation arrangements (including arrangements for the treatment and beneficial use of coal seam gas water), regulatory issues relating to the use of water, water trading and the development of major water infrastructure.
Infrastructure and Logistics (Port and Rail)
Advising on complex major infrastructure projects supporting energy and resources projects, including rail transport agreements, port access and infrastructure agreements.
Our relevant experience includes acting on the following matters.
- Abbott Point T2 and T3 Expansions: advised a major Queensland Port Authority in relation to a multi-billion dollar project for the development of significant additional coal export capacity at the Port of Abbott Point which will support the planned development of coal projects in the Galilee and Bowen Basins.
- Alliance Resources Limited: advising Alliance Resources Limited on a range of matters concerning its 25% joint venture interest in the Four Mile Uranium Mine in South Australia including the current litigation in the Federal Court and the Supreme Court of South Australia.
- Linc Energy Limited: advised on the structuring and document preparation and management of a takeover by Scheme of Arrangement for the acquisition of shares and options.
- Major Coal Seam Gas Project (Upstream): advised a major coal seam gas producer on numerous complex upstream tenure management, CSG Water and other issues which are critical to the development of a major multi-billion dollar downstream LNG liquefaction project in Queensland.
- Galilee Basin Coal Project: advised a publicly listed coal exploration company on its development of coal assets in the Galilee Basin and in relation to its ongoing joint venture interests.
- Large National Gas-fired Electricity Generator: advised a large national gas-fired electricity generator on complex gas-swap, gas supply and gas transportation agreements for a major power station development in Queensland. The project also involved advising on key aspects of financial close for the transaction.