Anthony's practice focuses on governance, transactions and strategic advice in regulated industries and on business dealings between government and the private sector. This focus brings together a wealth of experience in mainstream corporate and commercial law with distinctive experience with corporate and industry regulation.
Anthony's areas of expertise include extensive merger & acquisition experience over more than 20 years, experience of all issues in equity financing (IPOs, rights issues, SPPs, share placements, backdoor listings etc), acting on the negotiation and documentation of various commercial joint ventures and complex competition law advice, including in M&A contexts and in circumstances of mixed regulatory and market power. He has had representational dealings with governments and regulators in relation to policy, regulatory change, regulatory approvals and negotiated regulatory outcomes, advised on regulatory compliance programs and strategies for the management of regulatory risk. Anthony has distinctive experience in regulated industries such as utilities, gambling and funds management, involving some highly specialised issues (eg AML/CTF).
In addition to professional legal practice, Anthony spent five years as company secretary and senior lawyer for Crown Limited and was a non-executive director and an audit committee member of a water business (infrastructure and service delivery focus) and a director of two corporate superannuation funds (investment focus). Anthony has also worked for the Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research.
Anthony was Victorian Chairman of Chartered Secretaries Australia for 2 years.
- acting for Crown Limited in establishing, implementing and modifying its obligations to the state for delivery of the Melbourne Casino Project;
- assisting Federal Hotels & Resorts in its negotiations with the Tasmanian Government to successfully extend its statutory monopoly casino and gaming machine operator licences;
- representing the Australasian Casino Association in extensive representations to the Federal Government and AUSTRAC to shape the introduction of the new AML/CTF laws and rules including an appearance at a Senate Committee hearing;
- working with the New Zealand casino industry on representations to the NZ Government to shape newly formulated AML/CTF laws including written submissions and an appearance at a Parliamentary Committee hearing;
- advising the Tasmanian Energy Regulator on key policy aspects of the roll-out of gas distribution in Tasmania’s 5 major cities;
- working with the Victorian Essential Services Commission (and its predecessor) for 12 years on policy development and regulation in electricity, gas and water. Recurring themes included promoting competition and efficient risk allocation between consumers, various types of industry participants and the regulator.
- Bachelor of Commerce (Honours)
- Bachelor of Laws (Honours)
- Graduate Diploma of Applied Finance and Investment
- Graduate Diploma in Government Law
- Fellow, Chartered Secretaries Australia
- Fellow, Financial Services Institute
- Member, Association of Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialists