Joe is our Executive Consultant - Clients and Practice. In addition, he is a member of our Sydney Banking & Financial Services Practice Group and is our National Practice Leader - Wealth Management. He brings over 28 years experience in major commercial law firms to HWL Ebsworth.
Joe has a broad range of expertise, specialising in funds management, corporate and commercial law, governance and board advice, corporate banking, debt and equity capital markets, structured financial products, acquisitions, disposals, joint ventures and alliances, real property investment and development and construction and project finance.
Joe has been extensively involved in the development of law reform and regulatory policy and in advising and participating in the activities of a leading industry body.
- Leadership of a large team advising on a long term project concerned with the rationalisation and integration of the entire product suite of a major funds management organisation;
- The re-structure of the managed funds products of a large fund manager, including the establishment of new generation products and the “roll-over” of investors to those products;
- Formation of, and preparation of product disclosure statements in relation to, new investment products such as structured property funds, index funds , hedge funds, geared funds and international equity funds;
- A wide range of distribution and management arrangements including wraps, franchises, alliances and badges as well as fund “mergers”, listings and capital raisings;
- Mergers and acquisition deals in the financial services industry;
- Advising corporate boards on structural and governance issues with a particular focus on the identification, management and avoidance of conflicts of interest and compliance with statutory, common law and fiduciary duties;
- Assisting clients in devising and implementing appropriate short, medium and long term responses to critical business incidents such as a key regulatory and systems failure on the part of a large institution and the discovery of senior personnel serious misconduct by another;
- Advising chief executives, boards and general counsel in relation to overall approaches to risk management including the number, seniority, qualifications and roles of risk management personnel and the objectives, design and implementation of internal controls.
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting, Finance & Systems)
- Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Australian Corporate Lawyers Association
- The Association of Superannuation Funds of Australia Limited
- Law Society of NSW