Nicholas Pullen is highly regarded for his specialist expertise in the media and communications sector, providing clients with advice across defamation, privacy, consumer law, information technology and intellectual property matters.
Nicholas acts for a range of media and publishing organisations, especially in the television, radio, print and book publishing, on-line publishing and advertising industries. He is also active in other industries requiring expertise in knowledge management, especially in the protection or exploitation of IP and information.
Since 2009 Nicholas has been consistently included in the Australian Financial Review's Best Lawyers® in the fields of Defamation and Media Law and Entertainment Law. He was named in Doyle's Guide as recommended in the Defamation and Media Law and the Entertainment Law categories.
- Provides high level pre-publication advice for all forms of communications issues including defamation, contempt, intellectual property, privacy and confidential information to various media outlets and publishing houses including Network Ten, Penguin Random House, Melbourne University Publishing, Hardie Grant Publishing, Five Mile Press and The Australian Jewish News;
- Provides pre-publication advice for all aspects of advertising, promotional and creative issues for various advertising agencies (J Walter Thompson, The Bridge, Magnum Opus) for clients mainly in the building development, financial, sporting and food industries. The nature of advice normally provided includes consumer law, unfair competition, intellectual property, confidentiality and industry code compliance issues;
- Conducts litigation in defamation and intellectual property areas including strategic advice and alternative dispute resolution processes. Recent cases that have gone to a final hearing include:
- Hogan v Hinch  HCA 4
- Dimasi & Ors v Lower Murray Water Authority  VSC 535 1043
- Lower Murray Authority v Di Masi & Ors  VSCA 104
- Vakras & Anor v Cripps & Anor  VSCA 193
- Manages a portfolio of over 350 active trademarks on behalf of clients across most industries operating in Australia and overseas. Services to clients in this area includes intellectual property and consumer law including strategic advice on commercial applications.
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Laws
- Book Industry Collaborative Council (Chair: Copyright Expert Reference Group)
- Law Institute of Victoria, Defamation Media Law committee member
- Law Council of Australia, Communications Media Law committee member
- Registered practitioner, Advertising Standards Bureau
- Arts / Law Referral Council
- Advisory Board Member – Communications Media Centre for Law (Melbourne University)
- Melbourne Press Club