Mark is an accredited specialist in environmental, planning and local government law and a member of HWL Ebsworth's Planning, Environment and Government group. He has 20 years experience in planning and environmental law and previous experience in town planning and project management.
He advises on property development, town planning and environment approvals, administrative procedures and related areas of property law. He has acted in relation to major project approvals including inter-state highways, major water pipelines, industrial estates, residential subdivisions and commercial projects.
Mark acts for local governments and other statutory authorities and private sector developers in relation to all aspects of property development, and regularly appears before the Administrative Appeals Tribunal of Victoria and Planning Panels and Advisory Committees.
He advises local government and water authorities on all aspects of administrative procedures. Mark has extensive experience in the water sector including in relation to water trading, water policy, governance, and compliance in addition to project approvals and environmental issues.
Mark has been named in the Australian Financial Review's Best Lawyers® for Climate Change Law, Government Practice, Land Use and Zoning Law, Planning and Environmental Law and Water Law. Additionally, Mark has been named by Best Lawyers as Lawyer of the Year for Water Law. Mark has also been ranked as a Leading Victorian Planning and Environment Lawyer in the 2013 Doyles Guide for Best Lawyers.
- Advising and acting for Dennis Family Corporation and other landowners in relation to the Armstrong Creek Urban Growth Plan and subsequent preparation of precinct structure plans and development contribution plans for the various precincts in Armstrong Creek, a large development area to the south of Geelong;
- Advising and acting for local councils and other statutory authorities in relation to climate change adaptation and related matters, which is a new and fast changing policy area in Victoria;
- Advising on the re-zoning and development of the 2200 lot Hunt Club Estate for the Dennis Family Corporation, one of Australia's largest developers, in Cranbourne, Victoria;
- Acting on the first major water transfer pipeline in Victoria as part of the state government water infrastructure program. Mark led the team obtaining all the planning and environmental approvals;
- Acting for VicRoads in relation to preparation of EPBC referrals, EES and planning scheme amendment documents and achievement of environment and planning approvals under commonwealth and state legislation for major freeways and other projects;
- Successfully representing developer Intrapac in gaining rezoning and approvals for the 2400 lot residential subdivision, included negotiating agreements with multiple landowners and the Council for provision of infrastructure; and
- Representing developers, local authorities and other clients at VCAT appeals and planning panel hearings including retail and industrial development, quarries and landfill projects.
- Bachelor of Laws (Hons)
- Master of Urban Planning
- Bachelor of Arts
- Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Victoria
- Director, Australian Water Association
- Victorian State Committee Member, Australian Water Association
- Urban Development Institute of Australia (Distinguished Service Award)
- Corporate Member, Planning Institute of Australia
- Victorian Planning and Environment Law Association
- Law Institute of Victoria